Our actions to confront racism and advance social justice
Published on June 12, 2020
For more information on our actions to confront racism and advance social justice, please visit here.
On May 28, the Boston Scientific Executive Committee issued an open letter to U.S. employees to condemn injustice and discrimination and reaffirm our commitment to equality and diversity. Across our company, we continue to grieve and process the reality in which we are all living, and to find ways to support our employees, communities and stakeholders. We are taking the following new actions to live by our values and support these priorities:
- We will donate $2.5 million over a two-and-a-half-year period to support a multi-faceted, long-term strategy to combat racism, inequity and injustice in our workplace and in the communities where we live and work. This strategy will address five focus areas: community, economic empowerment, education, healthcare disparities and government/legislative change.
- We will provide immediate support to the rebuilding and recovery effort in Minnesota, where many of our employees live, by donating $250K in total to the Greater Twin Cities United Way for its Twin Cities Rebuild the Future Fund as well as the Nexus Community Partners Minnesota Holistic Black-Led Movement Fund. Employee donations to these funds will also be matched, dollar for dollar, up to $500 per employee, until July 31, 2020.
- Through the Minnesota Business Partnership, we joined more than 80 companies in Minnesota, and together we will work with lawmakers and communities of color to advocate for policies and programs that support police reform and advance social and racial justice.
- We have also pledged $1M over four years to support The New Commonwealth Racial Equity and Social Justice Fund in Massachusetts, where we are headquartered. Led by 19 Black and Brown executives in Greater Boston, the Fund represents an multi-year effort to provide essential support, resources and thought leadership for uncovering and dismantling systemic racism and all of its various and insidious forms.
These actions complement and accelerate the global inclusion and engagement programs Boston Scientific has put in place over the last several years, including:
- Setting ambitious diversity and inclusion goals, mandatory unconscious bias training, diversity recruiting partnerships and programs, inclusive hiring practices, ally and mentorship initiatives and ensuring pathways to leadership for women and multicultural talent.
- Increasing awareness of health care disparities and access to care through our Close the Gap initiative, including patient and provider education, accelerating diverse representation in clinical trials, using data to pinpoint disease prevalence and targeted outreach to underserved populations.
- Strategies and grant funding focused on equity in STEM education and chronic disease awareness and prevention as well as caring for our communities through volunteering and other efforts.
To bring about healing and lasting change it’s critical that we listen and learn from one another. We will continue to provide forums for courageous conversations, and we will continue to cultivate an environment that sets an example for the greater community—one where all people feel safe, valued and empowered.