Standing in solidarity with our Asian colleagues
Since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic, xenophobia and anti-Asian hate have been on the rise around the world. Acts of discrimination, assault and harassment against the Asian community are surging. This alarming trend compels us to stand in solidarity with our Asian colleagues and speak out against hate, racism and intolerance of any kind.
Our ability to fulfill our mission depends on having a team with diverse ideas, people and skills. We all have a responsibility to create a safe environment that supports diversity, equity and inclusion —both within Boston Scientific and our communities. Action and constructive dialogue are the path forward. We will continue to provide forums to listen and learn from one another and will make additional resources available to employees, including bystander intervention training and expanded leadership inclusion training.
To do your part, you can take the following actions:
- Reach out to your colleagues, friends and family members of Asian descent and ask how they are doing; ask if there is anything they need.
- Listen with empathy.
- Speak up if you experience or witness intolerance, discrimination, or bias against any group. If you are not sure what to say, start by asking “What did you mean by that?” or “Can you help me understand why you said (or did) that?”
- Join an employee resource group to hear first-hand about the importance of celebrating cultural traditions and carrying them from one generation to the next, or what it’s like to be targeted due to racism, intolerance or xenophobia.
- If you need support at any time, consider talking to your manager or HR and remember that our ERG chapter
scan be a resource. Additional resources are available through the employee well-being site and inclusion toolkit.
- On March 26th, share your support and raise awareness for Asian American Pacific Islander (AAPI) communities by posting #StopAsianHate, a virtual event promoted by an external coalition of support organizations.
By remaining vigilant, vocal and standing up for our values, we can continue the important work of advancing science for life – for all people. Thank you for your commitment to Boston Scientific and to making our global workplace an environment where everyone can thrive.
Chairman and CEO
Senior Vice President,