Boston Scientific has earned a spot on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for North America, one of the most prestigious global benchmarks for corporate responsibility. The list recognizes the companies that deliver outstanding economic, social and environmental performance to help create a more sustainable future for everyone.
This year, a record number of companies participated in the 2020 Corporate Sustainability Assessment, but thanks to high scores in environmental impact, diversity, equity and inclusion and philanthropy, Boston Scientific secured a coveted spot on the list of just 142 qualifying companies overall and is one of only six in the Healthcare Equipment & Services sector.
A DJSI distinction is an honor and a testament to our company-wide focus on corporate social responsibility. Across the world, our teams are dedicated to transforming lives through innovative medical solutions that improve the health of patients around the globe — while also making measurable contributions to the world we all share.
At Boston Scientific, our CSR efforts are driven by our publicly shared priorities that advance progress and are aligned with our business goals. While there is plenty of work to do, here are a few recent milestones that we are most proud of:
- Making significant strides towards our commitment to achieving carbon neutrality by 2030. Over the past two years, we’ve reduced our carbon footprint by 22 percent while impacting the lives of 20 percent more patients.
- Working towards ambitious measures to continue increasing diverse representation across the company. These goals include increasing the representation of women and multicultural talent at the supervisory and managerial level to at least 43 and 23 percent by 2023, respectively.
- We believe equal pay for equal work is foundational to an inclusive workplace. Over the last two years, we reported 99%+ pay equity for gender globally and for multicultural talent in the U.S. and Puerto Rico.
- Expanding our efforts to raise awareness on the significance of health disparities in marginalized communities through its Close the Gap health equity initiative. The COVID-19 pandemic has exposed the severity of health disparities, particularly among Black, Latinx and Hispanic people, and we are working to empower healthcare providers to reach more patients of color, fight long-standing inequities, and address barriers to care.
- Providing $2.5 million over a two-and-a-half-year period to support the development of a multi-faceted, long-term strategy to combat systemic racism, inequity and injustice in our workplace and the communities where we live and work.
In addition to being included on DJSI for North America, Boston Scientific was recently named one of America’s Most Just Companies by Forbes and Just Capital and a Culture Champion by the MIT Sloan Management Review and Glassdoor Culture 500. Fortune’s list of the World’s Most Admired Companies also recognized Boston Scientific for the fifth consecutive year.
At Boston Scientific, we are united by a deep caring for human life. Our work in health care comes with a profound responsibility to the people around us. Guided by our core values, we will continue to work toward shaping a better future for patients, customers, employees as well as the communities in which we live and work.
Learn more about our approach to Corporate Social Responsibility by visiting our performance report here.