Boston Scientific named a Dow Jones Sustainability Index Company
November 16, 2021
Boston Scientific has earned a spot on the 2021 Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for North America, one of the most prestigious global benchmarks for corporate responsibility. The index measures companies based on their performance across a variety of sustainability criteria. Boston Scientific saw overall improvement in its 2021 S&P Global Corporate Sustainability Assessment, which is used to determine DJSI inclusion, and achieved strong performance in the areas of Health Outcome Contribution, Environmental Policy and Management Systems and Corporate Governance.
“At Boston Scientific, sustainable and inclusive business practices are central to our mission to transform lives through medical solutions that improve the health of patients around the world,” said Mike Mahoney, chairman and chief executive officer, Boston Scientific. “This applies to the way we operate as a global business and as a global corporate citizen, and the need for strong environmental, social and governance initiatives has never been greater. We are committed to doing our part to create a better future for our stakeholders and are honored to be included in the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices for the second consecutive year.”
Taking Action for a Healthier World in 2021
We measure corporate responsibility progress by the ways in which we transform care, invest in our people, advance possibilities, protect the environment and create value responsibly. Below are just a few examples of how we’ve delivered results across our business and in collaboration with others.
- We were one of the first medical device manufacturers to pledge to achieve carbon neutrality by 2030 in all manufacturing and key distribution sites, and in just four years, since 2017, we reduced our carbon footprint by 50 percent. We are now raising the bar by joining the United Nations Race to Zero global campaign, committing to achieve net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
- We continued to invest in a collaborative and preventive approach to quality that fuels innovation and improves clinical outcomes for patients.
- We regularly collaborate with like-minded organizations to increase access to health and address health inequities around the world.
- During COVID-19 surges, we again supported the health and safety of our employees, customers, patients and the communities where we live and work.
- We continued to make progress on our diversity, equity and inclusion goals, and were named a top industry supporter of Historically Black Colleges and Universities as we work together to build a sustainable pipeline of diverse talent for the future.
- We made progress on our $3.5 million strategy to combat inequity, systemic racism and injustice in our communities, including investing in organizations like the gBeta Medtech Black Founder Accelerator and launching a new Boston Scientific mentorship program to increase the number of Black-owned businesses and train black entrepreneurs to work with companies like Boston Scientific.
- We introduced a Human Capital Scorecard as part of our annual bonus program to hold us accountable to progress.
In addition to being included in the DJSI for North America, Boston Scientific was recently recognized for its corporate responsibility progress, including Newsweek’s 100 Most-Loved Workplaces, Forbes' 2021 America's Best Employers for Diversity and Fast Company’s Best Workplaces for Innovators.
To learn more about our corporate responsibility initiatives and progress, click here.